Tuesday, April 3, 2018

One Great Editing Tip

While taking some acting lessons from Devon Ford, we spent one day working on one character in the piece at a time.

The scene we were practicing had seven speaking roles (and a few non-speaking) all in the same twelve-minute piece. It makes for a dynamic reading, but crisp differentiation in all the roles when delivering it is essential when the author is portraying all of them.

So Devon had me read one role at a time, while she spoke the lines of the rest to help with proper pacing. This way, I could work on the "voice" of the character without the other ones in my head.

Since the BryonySeries prequel Before the Blood is composed of several novels, each story arc has its own cast of characters. When I'm making my editing passes, I'm going to remember this.

Here's the tip: read through the novel's dialogue one character at a time to ensure that each "voice" stays true to the voice.



No comments: