Friday, January 5, 2018

Story Round-Up: Features in The Herald-News, Dec. 31 through Jan. 5

So last night I did something I rarely do anymore.

I stayed up late and rose late, mostly because the way my day is structured today, I could.

My original intent after returning home from WriteOn Joliet's first meeting in 2018 was to finish up some work leaving me free to tackle some other projects today. But once I stepped through the door,  I reverted to kid mode.

You know, the part of you that's like, "Yippee! No school tomorrow! I get to stay up late!" And then you fill the time with semi-useless stuff, a wasting of time that allows one to unwind.

So while I wouldn't say I frivously wasted a few hours (I did, after, all re-read parts of the WIP, not that I had any pressing reason to do so excepted whim and enjoyment), I do feel I had a bit of playtime for the mind and am now ready to tackle what needs to be done, in this order: work, personal project, working out, some fiction (if I'm fortunate), and teaching tonight.

Tomorrow: Work, Christmas shopping, work, the wrapping of presents, work.

Sunday: Christmas and family, work in the evening (this last is a HUGE maybe)

What, no fiction?

Maybe.

If there's time.

Because I have other things to do this weekend. I know. I've said it a lot. But I really had no intention of hitting fiction hard again until the following weekend.

Which I definitely will do.

Unless something comes up.

And now some quick information before the stories:

An event:

What: How to Self-Publish a Book for (Nearly) Free

​When: 6 p.m. Jan. 11, 2018

Where: Book and Bean Cafe, 3395 Black Road, Joliet

​Etc: WriteOn Joliet co-founder and author of the self-published BryonySeries will give a concise step-by-step presentation on how to self-publish a book for no to minimal cost. Opportunity for Q&A and to purchase books from WriteOn Joliet authors. $10. All proceeds benefit WriteOn Joliet programs

​Contact Visit www.writeonjoliet.com or email bryonyseries@gmail.com.

Non-bylined features:

Monday through Saturday I assembled my non-bylined works - brief posts and calendar listings - into one convenient file and posting them on Facebook in the evening, so readers can easily choose the ones they want to read.

One can also find those event listings, the Gotta Do It calendar, as well as the pets, health, faith, and arts and entertainment calendars, under the sections tab on the left hand side of http://www.theherald-news.com/. Click on "features" and the topics drop down.  Gotta Do It runs under "people."

Community news? Again, under the sections tab, under features, and by topic. Updates are posted on these days in print and web and in web on other days as I have the time: Monday (pets), Tuesday (health), Thursday (faith), Friday (arts and entertainment), and Sunday (people).

Social media:

Daily updates: I do post the briefs and calendars on Twitter during the week, so you're welcome to follow me at @Denise_Unland61.

BryonySeries stuff: I post curated content relating to the BryonySeries at @BryonySeries. And assorted related content at www.facebook.com/BryonySeries. And of course, please follow the adventures of Bertrand the Mouse on Instagram at bertrand_bryonyseries.

Thank you for reading The Herald-News. And for reading this blog. Your support is greatly appreciated.


‘It’s become part of my identity’
Art Dykstra steps down as executive director of Trinity Services

“I’m also aware of the fact that if you want to be successful, you have to be value-based, something I’ve tried hard to do,” Art said. “We make sure we put the people first and build the systems around them ... It’s been a very human service education, I guess.”



'I just have real passion for supporting people
Thane Dykstra steps up as CEO of Trinity Services

"I just have real passion for supporting people most providers aren’t interested in serving or who don’t necessarily have the expertise in serving," Thane said.



Help pets achieve healthy weight in new year

Based on 2016 pet population projections provided by the American Pet Products Association, an estimated 41.9 million dogs and 50.5 million cats are too heavy.



'People are comfortable with me'
At 200 pounds, Mokena personal trainer has lost half her body weight

"I was so large, I could not fit on 80 percent of the equipment," Cassie Campbell said, "and I could only walk one mile on a treadmill, not very long, but we went every day. I got on equipment I could fit on and I met with a nutritionist and she gave us a road map that really helped."

http://www.theherald-news.com/lists/2017/12/29/1c80d9b66357430592288328ff14a9e6/index.xml


Mystery Diner: Mattina Cafe has breakfast for any taste 

Our other adult diner went with the French quarter toast ($9.25).

I thought nothing of it when the order was placed, thinking it was just a fancy name for French toast with maybe some sort of fruit or whipped topping.

But I was wrong.

http://www.theheraldnews.com/lists/2018/01/01/5a43877fc1314b7e8be45366cb4e9f53/index.xml?page=1


Joliet's Christ Centered Combat has God at its core

"It develops the whole person," Sam Murphy said. "Not just your body and your mind, but your soul and your spirit as well need cultivating."

http://www.theherald-news.com/lists/2018/01/02/e03350e63b3b4d9aa00ce60d2ccce755/index.xml?page=1



Romeoville man's chess club started with a book and a cup of coffee

About 30 people of all ages now attend "Chess and Coffee" each Thursday between 6 and 10 p.m., and the number appears to be growing. Yes, kids can play, too.




Bricks and Minifigs Lego shop to open Saturday in Crest Hill

The Joliet store is one of 37 locations in the country, and the only one in Illinois, Linsner said. Its grand opening is Saturday.

http://www.theherald-news.com/lists/2018/01/02/432e29a8d95a4dc5842cad848460ca7f/index.xml?page=1


Illustration by Matt Coundiff for "Visage." Follow him at www.facebook.com/artbymattcoundiff or @MattCoundiff on Twitter



No comments: