Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Come to "How to Self-Publish a Book for (Nearly) Free" on Jan. 11

Self-publishing has changed a lot since I wrote my first book in 2008 and began to research publishing.

Back then, authors had two choices: submit to traditional publishers (with the need to find an agent first for many of those submissions) or a lot of money (thousands of dollars in many cases) to use a pay-to-print service.

One company had a free service, and that was Lulu. Today, authors have other free options with Amazon's Createspace being one of the most popular. Amazon also has fee-paying services.

Now I don't claim to be an expert on all facets of self-publishing, but I've learned a few things along the way. (I've since published nine books so far, eight of mine and one group project). And one thing I've learned is how to create a book with spending little money. In fact, it really irks me when I see writers paying huge setup fees for work when its unnecessary.

Cover design, ISBN assignment. online book distribution (including Amazon and Barnes and Noble), copyright registration, and formatting: these are not as daunting as they sound, and they are tasks authors can handle themselves. (If I can handle them, anyone can).

So if publishing a book is one of your goals for 2018, but you've held off because of the costs involved, come join me for coffee and conversation at 6 p.m. Jan. 11 at the Book and Bean Cafe, 3395 Black Road, in Joliet.

I'll define the differences between traditional, vanity, hybrid, pay-to-print, and self publishing. I'll explain mysterious terms like ISBN, Ingram, and extended distribution.

Then, with a handout you'll keep,  I'll walk you through a lean, step-by-step process on how to self-publish a print book through Createspace. I'll explain where you should put any money you choose to spend and where you should not put it.

This low-key workshop will not include sales, marketing, social media tips, etc. It also won't include writing and editing tips. Those are conversations for another day. This workshop is only to show you how to create the product for little to no money.

And no, I'm not selling any "services." I don't have the time to offer them anyway. I'm simply showing you how to create a book.

Of course, one may ask questions at any time during the presentation.

The cost is $10, which goes into the WriteOn Joliet kitty (yes, I co-lead the group) to help fund more resources for writers. WriteOn Joliet, a dues-paying critique group (we rent a room twice a month at the Joliet Public Library) published its first anthology this year (total cost to publish $25 and that was my cost), and we're exploring marketing this year.

We've hosted gust speakers, open mic nights, and annual holiday parties along with the critiquing and the fun. We also have a Facebook group, which, of course, is free. You don't need to join WriteOn Joliet to be a part of this group, and members are available to answer questions on the page about the writing, editing, and publishing process.

Information about WriteOn Joliet will be available at the workshop, along with copies of some of our self-published books so you can see the physical results (Heck, if you want to buy one or two, we won't object).

There's no advanced registration. Just show up that night, buy a cup of some really great coffee from the cafe (and maybe a snack or two), and we'll chat.

Questions? Message me at bryonyseries@gmail.com.





No comments: