Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Do You Blog (Should You Blog?) Some Thoughts

It seems as if everyone has (or had) a blog these days.

If you're one of them, you may wonder if you should start (continue or revive) a blog.

First of all, what is a blog? Merriam-Webster defines it thus: 

1: computers :a website that contains online personal reflections, comments, and often hyperlinks, videos, and photographs provided by the writer; also :the contents of such a site

2: a regular feature appearing as part of an online publication that typically relates to a particular topic and consists of articles and personal commentary by one or more authors a technology blog.

So a blog is basically a regular online feature that centers around a topic, the blogger, or both. If you'd like to write about particular subjects (including your perspectives and experiences) and then share them with the world, then maybe a blog is "write" for you.

When I was studying book marketing during the time my first book Bryony was in the editing stages, waaay back in 2010, I read authors should have blogs to help establish "platform" and "branding." I didn't know anything about blogging past that.

I handed off the task of researching this mysterious thing called blogging to my daughter Sarah Stegall, who was also building my website and learning about other mysterious concepts, such as SEO, keywords, etc.

Sarah, in turn, reached out to people she knew, who recommended either WordPress or Blogger, unfamiliar terms to me. Although WordPress is more popular today, we, being online amateurs, found it clunky to use and went with Blogger.

Sarah created the account, tagged all the posts that first year, and monitored the analytics. I was to provide the content. I came up dry. 

It was Sarah, again, who suggested I write about the various topics in the Bryony, the process of creating the story and the inspirations behind some of its elements, my life as a writer (and woman, mother, grandmother), my "other" writings (in short, my day and nights jobs), etc.

"People won't want to read that stuff," I protested.

I was't even certain I wanted to write about them, either.

"Yes, they will," Sarah insisted.

She was right.

Side note: And I laugh now at how difficult it was at the time to add videos and photos.

During the time I've blogged, I've watched friends and acquaintances start (and end) blogs., Many people start out enthusiastically and fade away. I've blogged nearly every day since I started this blog on Aug. 1, 2010, and here's what I've learned.

1) Formulate a purpose for your blog.

Why, and for whom, are you writing this blog? Give it some thought.

My blog is for anyone who likes the BryonySeries, likes any of its basic themes, for other writers, and for readers of my feature stories (who may be curious as to what I do off the clock).

2) Decide how often you will post.

I post something every day, but as a writer, I write every day, so that seemed the best for me, at least in terms of keeping me on task. 

Daily posting may not be ideal (or even necessary for you), but do create a schedule and adhere to it. You can always vary that schedule once the blog is established, but a blogging routine helps you stay focused and committed, and gives your growing community of readers something to anticipate.

3) Write an introductory blog.

Announce you and your blog to the universe and give readers a taste of what's to come.

4) Write some posts in advance before you begin. Then you will always have something to post.

I wrote a month's worth before we launched. I did this for three reasons. 

One, I had surgery scheduled at the end of the month and knew I would not write for a few days. 

Two, I didn't want to wade through writer's block early in the blog's launch. 

Three, it's nice to have a few sitting in the wings (for tired days, sick, days, blah days, etc). 

This way, you take advantage of inspiration when it comes, instead of trying to force words when the muse is sleeping.

5) If you do blog everyday, consider "themeing" your days. 

This gives your postings and muse focus and, again, creates anticipation in the reader.

For the BryonySeries blog, those have shape-shifted through the years, but the current lineup is: a Sue's Diner recipe (Sunday), miscellaneous (Monday), writing (Tuesday) video (Wednesday), Throwback Thursday (recycling of former blogs, Thursday), story roundup (my features writings for the week, Friday), and all things Irish (including Ed Calkins, Saturday).

I do deviate from these from time to time for special occasions, but not often.

Recently I added a second posting Monday through Saturday for all the non-bylined community briefs I edit for The Herald-News. I put a lot of work into those briefs and feel strongly about the sharing people's accomplishments with others.

Although I do send these briefs out on Twitter, assembling them into one post on Facebook seems less "spammy" then posting them one after another all day, and it gives readers another way to find them.

6) SEO, keywords, quality content

Don't get too hung up on these. Algorithms are constantly changing. There's no magic formula for building a readership. SEO and keywords help readers find your blog, but there's no guarantee people will hang about once they find it.

Don't write content that sounds like an artificial you. Don't write content for the sake of SEO and keywords. Write what you want to write. If you're passionate about a topic, chances are, someone else is, too. Those people will find you, trust me, although it won't happen overnight.

That said, don't be sloppy. Brush up on grammar. Use spell check. If you don't invest time into writing a polished post, readers won't want to invest their time in reading it.

6) Keep expectations realistic and give the blog a chance.

Many people begin blogs with false expectations. Making money, going viral, attracting thousands of followers, etc. When these don't happen (and they don't for most of us, repeat: they don't for most of us), bloggers become discouraged and quit.

What's realistic? Readers, in any amount. If you have a tribe of loyal readers (no matter how small), you are doing something "write."

7) Celebrate successes, no matter how small or trivial they appear to be.

We did. 

The first view.

The first two-digit view.

When views consistently hit the twenties and thirties.

The first fifty views for the day. (Because now I had a backlog of content for new readers to check out).

The first one hundred views.

The first one thousand views (yes, it has happened a few times).

When we hit 100,000 total views (in 2016, after nearly six years of blogging).

8) Be transparent but professional

No one appreciates haphazard rants, but thought-provoking posts on ideas near to your heart may touch chords within readers. 

9) If you're an author or business owner, don't sound like a spammy advertisement for your books or services.

Meaning, don't inflate you or your products' popularity. Don't write like you're a rock star and imply readers sit up half the night waiting feverishly waiting for your next installment. Readers can see through it.

In terms of this post, I'm not running a "must flock to" blog. I'm not Stephen King or JK. I don't get a millions views a day. I do, however, average 150 to 400 per post, 300 to 500 views a day (due to back posts) and 13,000 for the month.

Nothing stellar in terms of the thousands of blogs out there. A crazy amount of work (Remember, I've blogged nearly every day since Aug. 1, 2010). No guarantees readers will drop off. And no clever scheming as to why certain posts resonate more than others.

But a certain amount of consistent readership is gratifying. And that's why I'm writing this particular blog today. To encourage you on your own blogging journey.

Which leads to...

10) Stop if you no longer enjoy it, no matter how popular (or unpopular) your blog becomes.

And I'm not talking about the sporadic feeling we all get from time to time that we want to quit something. I'm not talking about fleeting moments of tedium. 

If you really, really don't want to blog or continue blogging, then stop. There's no shame in discovering a certain activity is no longer enjoyable or serves a useful purpose. The world is full of worthwhile projects. Some last a lifetime, some are for a season.

But if you DO decide to blog, enjoy the season, whether it's long, short, or somewhere in-between.

And feel free to reach out at bryonyseries@gmail.com if you have any questions.







No comments: