Monday, October 9, 2017

Recap of Oswego Literary Fest, Upcoming Two Author Fairs

This was my first year participating in the already established Oswego Literary Festival, and it had four high points for me.

The first was my one and only sale, a copy of Bryony, to an extremely lovely older British woman who was very happy to have it.

She had stopped at my table because the book covers caught her eye. She inquired about the series and asked which book was the first? I gestured to Bryony, and then invited her to read the back cover and flip through the pages. She did and had to have it.

Just so you know, the other authors around me weren't selling large amounts either. Some sold zero, the most I saw was three, and that was the author sitting next to me with a graphic novel. Foot traffic  to the area at the far end of the second floor was sparse and slow, but one cannot predict attendance.

Library staff was most gracious and offered several additional events to attract readers: a secondhand book sale, speakers, and classy live music. I'm most grateful to have been included in this event.

The second high point was one little girl, about eight or nine, who fell in love with Bertrand. She kept returning to my table to flip through his books and pet him. At the end of the event, she came back with her father. He didn't buy a book, but he did let me photograph a very happy her with Bertrand in her hand and text him the photo. And they left with a BryonySeries business card.

The third was the director of programming approaching my table. He said he was seeking authors to speak at book clubs and other events and appeared most impressed at the way I self-published my books. He signed up for my newsletter and took my sample chapter.

The fourth was meeting a very enterprising eighteen-year-old who was selling the first book in his series next to my table. He had nearly died while the doctors were figuring out what was wrong with him (rumination syndrome) and had written the book while in the hospital.

He said the book was the first in a series of nine, with three of the nine completed. His name his Albert G. Miller and here is his Amazon page.

I still have three more events this year and am already planning for 2018. Details are below.

Have a wonderful Monday, vampire fans! :)

UPCOMING AUTHOR FAIRS

A number of WriteOn Joliet authors (including moi) will be participating in the following events. I'll be raffling off a basket of BryonySeries stuff and copies of the out-of-print 2012 holiday editor of Visage, as well as giving away a chapter from Before the Blood as a thank you gift for signing up for my newsletter, which begins in 2018.

Indie Author Day

What: 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 14

Where: Plainfield Public Library, 15025 S. Illinois St., Plainfield

Etc: Local authors, BryonySeries books and other merchandise for sale, giveaways and raffle baskets. Free to attend.

Contact: bryonyseries@gmail.com


WriteOn Joliet Open Night Mic

When: 6 p.m. Nov. 2

Where: Book and Bean Cafe, 3395 Black Road, Joliet (inside the Joliet Public Library)

Etc: WriteOn Joliet will read excerpts from their works and share information about the upcoming anthology and Nov. 17's anthology release party.

Contact: bryonyseries@gmail.com 

Visit: writeonJoliet.com or www.bryonyseries.com

WriteOn Joliet Anthology Release Party

When: 6 to 8:30 p.m. Nov. 17

Where: The Book Market, 2365 Plainfield Road, Crest Hill

Etc.: Copies of "Write Where We Are" (WriteOn Joliet's first anthology) will be for sale. Information about WriteOn Joliet. A chance to meet and talk to some of WriteOn Joliet's members, as well as purchase books written by individual WriteOn Joliet authors as well as browse the store and purchase others books. Chef-created refreshments. BryonySeries raffles. Free admission.

Contact: bryonyseries@gmail.com

Visit: writeonJoliet.com or www.bryonyseries.com



No comments: