Friday, August 4, 2017

Story Round-Up: Features in The Herald-News, July 30 through Aug. 4

Wait...what? The week is over? What have I accomplished? Especially when my mind is somewhere in Tuesday.

Mostly I just did my job, stuck to my fiction-writing routines, exercised, and either had trouble sleeping or passed out right away, but dragged all week. However, last week was pretty intense, sooo...

New thing: We are also making web versions/photos lists of stories now. Quick count: I believe I did about a dozen of those this week, too.

WriteOn Joliet last night, which always invigorates me, and the monthly fiction-writing workshop tonight. Topic: different ways to use flashback. Tomorrow:fasting blood work for my physical and afterward working on Before the Blood, although it sounds like that should come first.

Recap time:

Local events: Health, faith, and arts and entertainment calendars: where to find them? Under the sections tab on the left hand side of http://www.theherald-news.com/. Click on "features" and the topics drop down. Assembled by moi.

More local events: Gotta Do It, also by me, runs each Sunday in the People section.

Community news: Again, under the sections tab, under features, and by topic. Updates are posted on these days in print and web and in web on other days as I have the time: Monday (pets), Tuesday (health), Thursday (faith), Friday (arts and entertainment), and Sunday (people).

Daily updates: I do post the briefs and calendars on Twitter during the week, so you're welcome to follow me at @Denise_Unland61.

BryonySeries stuff: I post curated content relating to the BryonySeries at @BryonySeries. And assorted related content at www.facebook.com/BryonySeries.

Thank you for reading The Herald-News. And for reading this blog. Your support is greatly appreciated.


'As long as I am reporting, I'll be happy'

10 questions with Herald-News intern Megan Schuller

Baran-Unland: How have your grown as a journalist this summer?

Schuller: For one thing real life experience is something that school can never teach, especially in a field like this. I continue to learn more each day about the subjects I write on, sources I speak to, area I am covering, writing style, etc. I've gained more confidence in my writing as well. Let me tell you: seeing your byline on newsstands across your hometown is a pretty surreal feeling.



'I like to be in charge of things'
10 questions with Herald-News intern Jessie Spangler

Baran-Unland: When, and why, did you decide to channel that passion into journalism?

Spangler: I first started thinking about journalism when I was 10, but didn't really start seriously thinking about it until my senior year of high school. I was really set on becoming a veterinarian for years, and didn't realize until senior year of high school that wasn't the right path for me. I figured I had a better chance at making the world better through writing because it's something I'm passionate about.



'This could happen to any family'
Joliet woman grieving her 22-month-old godson's drowning

Serena Magosky said Moore was a happy active toddler, very sweet and full of life, “a bright shining star.” Jenny called him “Nugget.” Serena said losing Moore is like losing her own child.

“I went to bed crying and I woke up crying,” Serena said.



An Extraordinary Life: New friendship solves old mystery
And a chance meeting provides a man-of-God mentor

"Albert told me each day that he prayed for me," Tom Grotovsky said in his eulogy. "I spoke to him almost every day at 8:10 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. He was my blessing. I used to say 'Albert, you are God’s messenger to me. God uses your voice to speak to me in words I need to hear.'"



Pets of the Week: July 31

Read the caption of each photo to find out about that pet, including where he or she can be adopted.



It took a car accident to get a diagnosis
Now Erika Fleck is using her knowledge to help Morris area residents

Fleck said she knew little about epilepsy when she was diagnosed. So she wants to raise awareness, too.

"One out of 26 people have epilepsy," Fleck said. "And 70 percent of people have no idea how they got it."



From our house to yours: Two elegant summer desserts

One is a panna cotta (an Italian custard with caramel syrup). The other, if you prefer something more complicated, is a chocolate cake with a passion fruit curd, topped with chocolate mousse, lime syrup, strawberry sauce and chocolate crunch.



She came from South Korea, eternity's on her mind

"I became a strong woman – spiritually – and I also became adjustable in a new environment," Rev. Hyo Sun Oh said. "It is kind of hard to move from church to church, but I became very flexible."



Never thought it could happen to me

For years I've teased my daughter Rebekah Baran about her love for Asian music, movies, dramas, variety shows, and animes. I've now embarked on an adventure into the popular entertainment of another continent. I'm not alone.

Turns out such entertainment is popular all over the globe.



A time to watch, a time to dance – in Plainfield

Altin Naska, owner of Plainfield Dance Academy, will host PDA's fourth Community Engagement Dance Series on that night. But don't write this off as a typical dance recital for students' family and friends. This is a real show for the community.

http://www.theherald-news.com/lists/2017/08/03/811aa52741134f7f85fb3bcc14086c62/index.xml



Three Rivers Festival aims to draw big crowd
By Allison Selk - Shaw Media Correspondent


This year’s festival runs Aug. 9 to Aug. 13, with family friendly events running morning into early evening and adult bands and beer garden into the later hours.





No comments: